April 26, 2024, 11:59:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mass and Charge Balance  (Read 21077 times)

Offline SunnyBlu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mass and Charge Balance
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »
Can somebody please explain these concepts to me please? I've tried looking up examples online and in my book, but I feel like they are making what should be an easy concept, somewhat difficult to understand...  :-[

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Mass and Charge Balance
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
Number of atoms of each element must be identical on both sides of each reaction equation.

Charge must be identical on both sides of each reaction equation.

Counting atoms is simple, counting charges is not much more complicated, just you have to remember about signs. H2O molecule is neutral (net charge equals 0), mixture H++OH- is neutral too, as +1+(-1)=0.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SunnyBlu

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
Thanks! :D Okay, I think I am starting to understand a little more. I had this homework problem that just confused me more though, because in the answer I think the charges were unequal?
The Q was 'Write the charge balance for a solution that initially contains CsF and CaCO3'
And the A was [Cs+] + 2[Ca2+] + [H+] = [OH−] + [F−] + 2[CO32−] + [HCO3−]
I'm not sure how to know which elements to throw in... and aren't the charges 6 on the first side and -7 on the second?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »
Sorry, I misunderstood your question, I took it as pertaining to reaction equations, while you meant mass and charge balances for solution (or whatever).

But it is still not very complicated.

When you add any substance to solution, it may dissociate, react with other substances and so on. Mass balance tells the simple thing - amount of substance that was put into solution stays there, it may be just there in a different form. So, if you have added phosphoric acid to solution, it dissociates, but total number of moles of all dissociated forms doesn't change and equals amount of phosphoric acid introduced into solution.

Charge balance - all solutions are always neutral. That means amount of positive charge (in form of cations) equals amount of negative charge (in form of anions). However, you have to account of the fact that non all cations (anions) are charged equally - some have smaller charge (like +1 for Na+) some have higher charge (like +3 for Al3+). Those that carry more charge should be in a way counted more than once. Thus for example for MgCl2 solution charge balance equation takes form 2[Mg2+] = [Cl-] (Mg2+ counts as two).

And the A was [Cs+] + 2[Ca2+] + [H+] = [OH−] + [F−] + 2[CO32−] + [HCO3−]
I'm not sure how to know which elements to throw in... and aren't the charges 6 on the first side and -7 on the second?

Not elements - IONS. All ions that are present in the solution.

And no, there is no 6 & 7, but 5 on both sides.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SunnyBlu

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Hmm okay, but how is the charge 5 on both sides? I mean, like you said in the case of MgCl, it would be 2[Mg2+]=[Cl-], why is this not a +4 charge for Mg and -1 for Cl?
(Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it is..  :-X )

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
You are not multiplying charges, you are multiplying charge by concentration.

Let's say you have 100 Mg2+ cations - how many +1 charges it is? 200, isn't it? 2 times number of cations. In terms of concentration - charge will be 2 times concentration of Mg2+.

Offline SunnyBlu

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
Alrighty! Thanks so much for your *delete me* I really appreciate it!  :)

Sponsored Links