March 29, 2024, 02:34:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: can "purified baby water" be used to replace "distilled water"?  (Read 5729 times)

Offline mds33200

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
can "purified baby water" be used to replace "distilled water"?
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:38:54 AM »
Hi, I have a steam cleaner (you fill the machine with water and it blows out steam, used for cleaning / sanitizing items.

Tap water from the sink is considered  “hard water”  and the steam cleaner’s  instruction book says hard water will cause the unit to clog up, so in my case it says to use distilled water instead of tap water. 

I went to the grocery store today and couldn’t find distilled water, I asked a worker and they said “yes we have it right here, well  this stuff is all we have but it will work just as good”. It is called “purified baby water”.

Ingredients: Purified by steam distillation, filtered and ozonated to ensure quality. Also contains selected minerals such as potassium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and  sodium fluoride for added taste (not nutritionally significant). Also contains low levels of fluoride up to 0.7 mg/L.

So before I use it I just figured I would check if it’s a safe substitution (the guy said it was but then again he didn’t even ask what I needed it for).  Thanks for any info.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: can "purified baby water" be used to replace "distilled water"?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:27:18 AM »
Ingredients: Purified by steam distillation, filtered and ozonated to ensure quality. Also contains selected minerals such as potassium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and  sodium fluoride for added taste (not nutritionally significant). Also contains low levels of fluoride up to 0.7 mg/L.

Dissolved minerals are exactly what you have to avoid, they are not present in distilled water, they leave a scale when water is boiled out.

Try to look for DI (deionized) or RO (reverse osmosis) water.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mds33200

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: can "purified baby water" be used to replace "distilled water"?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:40 AM »
Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored Links