April 19, 2024, 02:50:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolving Carbon  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Oseania

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dissolving Carbon
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:54:25 AM »
Hello,

In one project I have thin Pt sheet which is deposited on top of conductive carbon sheet (carbon black). I was wondering is it possible to dissolve the solid carbon using KOH or NaOH. I understand that these don't affect the Pt-layer.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Dissolving Carbon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »
I don't believe there's a simple, easy to use solvent for carbon.  Usually, carbon is removed with very esoteric reagents at high temperatures and pressures, but your Pt film won't survive that.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
The question is how the carbon was fixed to the platinum I would use HNO3 and a strong Ultra sonic bath. I wild dissolve the carbon but weaken the bonding to the platinum. probably the Hydroxide also will work.

Offline Oseania

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:14:27 AM »
Thank you.

What if the Pt coating was on top of Nickel. Would there be any method of stripping the Nickel out but leaving the Pt?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
Nickel is  soluble in any acid.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
If you have thin films and deposition processes, maybe you access a plasma etch machine? Then carbon-to platinum selectivity must be possible, with hydrogen if the machine permits it, maybe with oxygen, or more subtle species.

If you deposit on silicon, some etchants are known, as simple as KOH. This can be advantageous, for instance to leave some patterns of silicon to support the Pt film.

Offline ScottF

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
The plasma etch machine in my lab was new last year, I think it only cost about 6 grand.  Here is a link to the one I use.  http://www.plasmaetch.com/pe-25-plasma-cleaner.php  We use it with oxygen and I usually let it go for about 6 minutes.  Hope that helps!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
Maybe an alternative - or maybe not. Worth a trial, since the hardware is rather common.

Nanosecond and picosecond pulsed lasers are used to clean dirt away from stones, among many uses. In the infrared (most lasers are IR) carbon absorbs much while platinum reflects efficiently, so with limited luck, evaporation will stop at the metal layer.

One trick with short pulses is that heat doesn't diffuse deeply, so it will spare your Pt layer. The other trick is that heat serves then to evaporate the dirt without being lost to the depth, and leaves the material nearly untouched. Used in mechanical production to make the cuts cleaner.

Sponsored Links