April 16, 2024, 03:38:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to amalgamate  (Read 5180 times)

Offline restrepoarango

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to amalgamate
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:31:52 AM »
I need to amalgamate 2 metals. I would like to do it in a vacuum but am unsure about the procedure to follow or which equipment to use. Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,

Andres

Offline The Jar

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How to amalgamate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
You might want to be more specific about the metals.  There are a variety of techniques ranging from dynamic vacuum furnace heating, sealing in a quartz tube and heating in a regular furnace, or even arc-melting.  The types of metals being reacted really determines the best course of action.

By the way, if you have access to journals online you can search through The Journal of Alloys and Compounds or another metallurgy type journal.  You can almost certainly find references to various techniques for reacting metals.

Offline restrepoarango

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to make an alloy of Bi and Sb under vacuum
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

How would you suggest to make an alloy of Bismuth and Antimony under vacuum? Would it be appropriate to use a heavy wall Schlenk flask and hard vacuum conditions?

Thank you,
Andres

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to amalgamate
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
restrepoarango:  I've merged your recent post with this other one of your, from 5 years ago.  I'm sorry you haven't had much of a response as yet, but you topic is a little obscure.  You can wait for an expert to weigh in, or you can try some literature searches.  You'll get the best results if you give us as much of your application as you can: 

Hi everyone,

How would you suggest to make an alloy of Bismuth and Antimony under vacuum?

Do those metals form an alloy?  In what proportions do you need this alloy?  Does it have to be under a vacuum?  Why not melt together and pour?

Would it be appropriate to use a heavy wall Schlenk flask and hard vacuum conditions?

Will a sizable quantity of these two metals deform enough?  What pressure differential do you mean for "hard vacuum?  Only the vendor can tell you if the "Schlenk flask" can handle that pressure without imploding.  Just because its thick walled, and meant to vacuum filter a liquid, doesn't mean it won't implode under very strong vacuum.  Warning:  I have never seen a vacuum flask implode, so if it were to, the damage risk is likely very serious.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links