April 28, 2024, 08:48:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Net Ionic Equations. I'd like someone to confirm if this is correct for me?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline SOS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

I have a question on when to balance the equation when finding the net ionic equation. For example say I have

Cu(NO3)2 + NaOH -> Cu(OH)2 + NaNO3

Do I need to balance the equation right after I did my double replacement reaction?

After that.. when I write out the soluble ions separately to take out spectator ions, do I keep the balanced amount in there?

And from that I am left with my net ionic equation, and balance when necessary. Am I correct?

Offline onenameless

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Yes, you need to balance the equation. I'm not sure what you mean by "keep the balanced amount in there", but equations, whether ionic or not, should always be balanced.

Offline SOS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Yes, you need to balance the equation. I'm not sure what you mean by "keep the balanced amount in there", but equations, whether ionic or not, should always be balanced.
Thanks. What I meant by "keep the balanced amount" is to keep it balanced equation the way it is throughout the whole process of finding the net ionic equation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Keeping it balanced throughout the process won't hurt, but after canceling out spectators you have to check if the ions left do have lowest possible coefficients.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links