April 20, 2024, 08:08:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation Numbers  (Read 10942 times)

Offline Limewire36

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Oxidation Numbers
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
How do oxidation numbers work? If someone could better explain it to me, that would be much appreciated!

Find the Oxidation Number: S in H2SO3
 the H2 is  2H+1 so that means the SO3 has to be +2 to equal 0.
so you take the O-2 times it by 3 = -6
therefore S -6= -2
S= +4

Did I do that problem correctly?

Edit: I think I've figured out how to do them.

N in N2H4 = +4

S in S-2= -2

K in K+1= +1

C in CH4 = -4

I in I2 = 0

Did I get any of these wrong?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:44:27 PM by Limewire36 »

Offline adenine135

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Oxidation Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
    They're all right, but here's a guide in case you get any more difficult ones you get stuck on:

The first step is setting the compound equal to the compound's charge.

Next you should subtract the oxidations of elements that are determined by following rules from the overall compound charge:

• The oxidation state of any element such as Fe, H2, O2, P4, S8 is zero (0).
    • The oxidation state of oxygen in its compounds is -2, except for peroxides like H2O2, and Na2O2, in which the oxidation state for O is -1.
    • The oxidation state of hydrogen is +1 in its compounds, except for metal hydrides, such as NaH, LiH, etc., in which the oxidation state for H is -1.
    • The oxidation states of other elements are then assigned to make the algebraic sum of the oxidation states equal to the net charge on the molecule or ion.
    • The following elements usually have the same oxidation states in their compounds:
                * +1 for alkali metals - Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs
                 * +2 for alkaline earth metals - Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba
                  * -1 for halogens except when they form compounds with oxygen or one another

Then you're ideally left with one unknown, divide the remaining charge by the element in question's subscript and that's your oxidation charge of that element.

So for N in N
2H4:

The charge is 0

There are 4 hydrogen atoms with an oxidation state of -1:
  • 4  (-1) = -4
  • 0 - (-4) = +4

So the remaining diatomic nitrogen has an oxidation state of +4, but there are two nitrogen atoms so you must divide the oxidation state by 2:
  • +4 / 2 = +2

So the oxidation state of nitrogen in N2H4 is +2[/list]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:35:53 PM by adenine135 »

Offline JustinCh3m

• Mole Snacks: +12/-8
    • CollegeChemistryNotes
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
doesn't the H in N2H4 serve as a "hydride"? and thus take a -1 charge, the way it does in sodium hydride (NaH).

I thought the N had a +2 charge here and the H has a charge of -1 (which is unusual I know).

Just my 2 pennies

- CollegeChemistryNotes

Offline adenine135

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
You're correct, hydrazine is a hydride (I'm doing way too many things at once so I apologize for my mistake).

So that would mean the N2 would have an oxidation state of +4 and N would be +2...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:57:51 AM »
1. It doesn't matter much whether you treat hydrazine as a hydride or not.

2. It is quite correct to treat it as an analogue of ammonia, just with N-N bond. As ammonia is usually treated as N(-3) H(+1) nitrogen in hydrazine would be (-2).

But as oxidation numbers don't reflect any real property of atoms in molecules, and there is some liberty in assigning them, whole discussion is a moot.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links