April 25, 2024, 04:42:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mutation  (Read 14464 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:Mutation
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 02:46:38 AM »
If I recollect correctly one of the first studies in history of genetics was done on the pea plant. I think it took years to complete.

Offline bryanh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Free the radicals
Re: Mutation
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 06:17:25 AM »
You wont be able to design mutations, just mutate a whole load of things and breed for whatever you like that comes up. But remember kids mutations arent all laser eyes and schnickity schnickity most lead to cancers and other painfull deaths. Also in most countries experimentation on vertebrates without proper licensing (in the UK you need at least 3 different licenses, training etc.) is illegal, esp when your doing weird genetic stuff, so you might want to stick with insects and plants.

Offline pele

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »
My classmate was working on a project about fruit fly mutations. She used thwarts (not real insecticides how far I know. It is possible to by this kind of things in an average shop). The project longed for approximately month and there were some results. She mentioned in the presentation that some generations later flies had changes in their wing lengths and eye color etc. (it was seen using lens).

Good luck!

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 07:14:06 AM »
I have no problem with propper scientists doing valuable experiments on animals for the good of mankind  -  but x44 seems to have no idea what he is doing. To just  'play' with mutating animals seems cruel to me if you have no idea of what you are doing.   Stick with the insects if you must - dont just inject crap into mice and hens for the fun of it x44 -  it's sick.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links