April 28, 2024, 06:50:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Visual thinkers rarely get chem degrees?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline horsebox

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Visual thinkers rarely get chem degrees?
« on: October 30, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
In my class, I'm the only person that finds organic chemistry dead easy and inorganic chemistry tricky. Everyone else its the other way around. It seems that I'm the only purely visual learner in the class. I think that visual thinkers rarely do well in high school let alone college because most teachers and lecturers teach things in a linear manner which is not well suited for visual thinkers. The only reason I made it this far is because I have dedicated my life to becoming a scientist and spend just about every minute of my spare time learning. I don't go to lectures anymore because its a waste of time since I can't learn in a linear way like that. I learn by making mental images in my head of everything but to do this I have to constantly jump from one concept to another, I can't just listen to a lecturer explain things in a serial manner like that.

What really amplifies my learning abilities is when they provide good pictures which I can use as my mental picutres. Thats why I excel in organic chemistry because the structures and mechanisms are usually provided so I don't have to translate any words into mental images for those. I have 2 good books which provide good pictures to represent many concepts but unfortunately my lectuerers just plaster a load of words onto the lecture notes so they are of little use to me. Anyone else here a purely visual thinker? Can you recommend any good chem websites or books for visual learners?

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
Re: Visual thinkers rarely get chem degrees?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »
I would try to find a balance. Inorganic should be easy for a visual learner because there is a lot taught on group theory. You won't be able to do really well in a world of pictures... For example, organic chemistry papers contain many schemes and figures. However, in the text is where you find a lot of the meat of what went on in a lab. Papers are written in a linear fashion.

I think many visual learners get chem degrees.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Sponsored Links