March 28, 2024, 05:06:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ion chromatography  (Read 4718 times)

Offline ironnica

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ion chromatography
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
I have spent 2 days researching a simple question and cannot find an answer, really need help please.
My experiment involved running IC on a dilute mixture of known samples to create peaks for the anions that eluted. Next i identified peaks by a method known as spiking. (took me until 30 mins ago to find that it is also called co-ingecting {in GC anyway}), raising the conc of one of the solutes in the solution while keeping the others proportional to eachother.

The question in my lab manual is basically this; what are the advantages/disadvantages of peak spiking, and what alternative methods can be used. the latter part is really getting to me.

would really appreciate the help

Offline ironnica

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Ion chromatography
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
Didnt realise that there was so little known about IC

I'm guessing MS could be used so going to have to guess. Thanks to all who looked even.

Closed.

Offline crosemeyer

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
I usually use a standard (spiked DI) to define retention time.  The column generally comes with a certificate that will give you a general idea, as well as order of elution.

Offline cil-baha

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
    • BAHA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
1. a) The advantages/disadvantages of peak spiking is mostly overcoming matrix effects,
 b) and what alternative methods can be used - Standard Addition Method (above?)

I recommend that you read textbooks such as Skoog, West ...,  + other good references such as online http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_addition
www.google.com/search?q=method+of+standard+addition

Cheers!

Sponsored Links