March 29, 2024, 04:26:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the purpose of applying grease to the cone of the condenser of apparatus  (Read 13763 times)

Offline Chaste

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
It is a conventional simple reflux set up for the synthesis of ligand bpm(bis(pyrazolyl)methane).

I'm guessing it acts as a lubricant? to reduce friction but what is its significance?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
It is a conventional simple reflux set up for the synthesis of ligand bpm(bis(pyrazolyl)methane).

I'm guessing it acts as a lubricant? to reduce friction but what is its significance?

It is used to stop the ground glass joints freezing together. Just don't use too much or it will end up in your product.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Chaste

why don't we use it always?

It is used to stop the ground glass joints freezing together. Just don't use too much or it will end up in your product.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
By "the cone" I'm assuming you mean the glass joint where it fits into the flask.

The reason is the joint between condenser and flask isn't airtight.  So once you get your solvent boiling it can escape through that joint and then your flask will dry out if you leave it for long enough.  Greasing the joint makes it airtight and prevents the solvent from evaporating out (also prevents air and moisture from getting in if you need to be concerned about that).

Offline Chaste

By "the cone" I'm assuming you mean the glass joint where it fits into the flask.

The reason is the joint between condenser and flask isn't airtight.  So once you get your solvent boiling it can escape through that joint and then your flask will dry out if you leave it for long enough.  Greasing the joint makes it airtight and prevents the solvent from evaporating out (also prevents air and moisture from getting in if you need to be concerned about that).

I get it now. Thanks for the explanation!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history

The reason is the joint between condenser and flask isn't airtight.  So once you get your solvent boiling it can escape through that joint and then your flask will dry out if you leave it for long enough.  Greasing the joint makes it airtight and prevents the solvent from evaporating out (also prevents air and moisture from getting in if you need to be concerned about that).

Even without greasing I have never had solvent loss through the joint, but without greasing I've had plenty of frozen joints. I guess it fulfills both functions.
My Research History

Offline Chaste

sorry, I don't understand what's frozen? does it mean the condenser and the flask becomes stuck and difficult to separate from each other at the end of the refluxing?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
sorry, I don't understand what's frozen? does it mean the condenser and the flask becomes stuck and difficult to separate from each other at the end of the refluxing?
Exactly that!
My Research History

Offline Modestus

I haven't ever lost product through that joint either; however J-bone is right, for some reactions, such as the formation of a Grignard reagent, where water will prevent product formation, it is imperative for the air tight seal, unless you're conducting the reaction in the Sahara, then by all means, use no grease!

Sponsored Links