June 17, 2024, 03:04:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Free radical reactions  (Read 2446 times)

Offline maccha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Free radical reactions
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
I'm confused about propagation in free radical chain reactions. If you have propene, for example, how do you know if a Bromine free radical would add to the pi bond or abstract an allylic hydrogen? Thanks

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Free radical reactions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:26:05 AM »
Under what conditions and from what initial compound is the bromine free radical being generated? And is there any specific reaction(s) you have in mind?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Free radical reactions
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
This is a good question. I reasoned that this reaction must be a kinetic versus thermodynamic process. A radical addition of HBr and radical bromination generates a Br•. But one adds and the other abstracts. In HBr, the addition radical is quenched with HBr. If HBr is low or absent, then it must reverse to an alkene. Slowly, abstraction must take place. This is propagated or quenched with bromine.

I don't know the data on this, but allylic brominations are most frequently done with NBS. Two things, NBS absorbs HBr keeping its concentrations low. Two, Br2 concentrations are very low to prevent a radical addition or electrophilic addition to compete.  Obviously, one could drip in bromine. I don't know if anyone has done this reaction and whether dibromides are encountered in their products.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links