March 29, 2024, 09:48:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Given that the average pH of clean, unpolluted rain today is 5.4, determine the  (Read 6829 times)

Offline PhilipCheney

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am not sure which direction i should go withthis. I can determine the concentration of H+ fromthe pH, but then what?

Atmospheric CO2 level seem to have risen by approximately 20% over the past 40 years from 315 ppm to 375 ppm.

(a) Given that the average pH of clean, unpolluted rain today is 5.4, determine the pH of unpolluted rain 40 years ago. You may assume that carbonic acid (H2CO3) formed by the reaction of CO2 and water is the only factor affecting pH by the reaction:

CO2(g) + H2O(l) <===> H2CO3(aq);

(b) What volume of CO2 at 25oC and 1 atm is dissolved in a 20.0-L bucket of today’s water?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I guess they want you to calculate concentration of acid from pH (and pKa1), to calculate Henry's constant from this number, then to do the opposite - use calculated Henry's constant to calculate pH of the solution for a lower level of CO2.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links