April 28, 2024, 09:29:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: If differential equations and linear algebra isn't required for BS  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Charkol

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
...Will I need it to take the inorganic chemistry classes?  How much will I need to know of it?

I am in Calc II now, and am moving right along to Calc III next semester, Is basic knowledge of differentiation and integration allowable in these junior and senior chemistry classes? 

It's hard to tell in these early freshman and sophomore classes because the most difficult mathematics are probably the statistics of Quantitative Analysis. 

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
Re: If differential equations and linear algebra isn't required for BS
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
It depends on your professor and university.  They may leave the gritty details of wave equations to pchem, but will more than likely will group theory. Group theory can either be taught visually without much math or rigorously through the math.  I'm a student of the first, and I enjoyed it.  I'm going back now and touch up on the theory more now. 

In sum, talk to your probable prof. I wouldn't expect it to be to much of a problem either way.  You might just need to buddy up with someone whose good at math.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Organic Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
You will see these when you study physical chemistry or P-Chem as some call it.

Offline Charkol

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
I will most likely take physical chemistry as I am now working towards a bs in chemistry.  I am taking calc III next semester.

I was wondering if both linear and differential math would be required.  Differential Equations sort of interests me, but I'm not sure about Linear.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
Linear is worth learning. Theres two major forms of quantum, one deals with matrix algebra and the other with diff eqs.

Learning more math is never a bad idea in my opinion.  It's the langauge of science.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Sponsored Links