April 23, 2024, 03:33:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with strange HNMR?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline workmans

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with strange HNMR?
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Hey there!

So, I am working on interpreting a series of spectra for a mixture of allyl chloride (3-chloropropene) and methallyl chloride (3-chloro-2-methylpropene). I was given a H-NMR, 13C-NMR, DEPT-135, and a HETCOR. I have all of the spectra interpreted for the most part, and according to the HETCOR, the DEPT and the 13C, my assignments of protons are correct; however, at about 5.8 ppm, I am observing a decet in my H-NMR rather than the pentet that I thought I should be seeing.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be the case? I'm totally lost on this one!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Help with strange HNMR?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:04 AM »
Hey there!

So, I am working on interpreting a series of spectra for a mixture of allyl chloride (3-chloropropene) and methallyl chloride (3-chloro-2-methylpropene). I was given a H-NMR, 13C-NMR, DEPT-135, and a HETCOR. I have all of the spectra interpreted for the most part, and according to the HETCOR, the DEPT and the 13C, my assignments of protons are correct; however, at about 5.8 ppm, I am observing a decet in my H-NMR rather than the pentet that I thought I should be seeing.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be the case? I'm totally lost on this one!

A true decet? 1:9:36:84:126:126:84:36:9:1? What proton do you think this corresponds to? Could it be perhaps something like a ddt or similar with co-incident couplings?

Sponsored Links