April 24, 2024, 01:41:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Beginners Chemistry Set  (Read 9934 times)

Offline daniel619

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Beginners Chemistry Set
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post, so please don't scold me if I posted this in the wrong place.  I just started to learn chemistry (hobby).  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good chemistry set that will help start get my hands dirty.  In addition, I'm wondering of any good hobby stores where I could go to buy individual materials/solutions, if needed.

Thanks   ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Beginners Chemistry Set
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
These questions shows up now and then, try to search forums for "chemistry set" (in quotes). There is a search link in the menu up there.

Don't expect good answers, most of the sets these days are very limited when it comes to reagents.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
This is all you need,  http://chemistry.about.com/library/goldenchem.pdf 

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments.  I'm a Senior in college studying chemistry, and this book gave me more fun experiments to do than everything I've done in college combined.  And the best part???? It's all done with test tubes, rubber tubing, and some glass bottles, as well as utilizing chemicals found at grocery stores, drug stores, and hardware stores.

No expensive chemicals/glassware needed

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »

Any formal chemistry set is going to be bending you over and having its way with you for 5g of metal salts and plastic labware.  Recomend: avoid

The only way is to buy parts individually.

I like elementalscientific.net

Offline Ballistic

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »
I got my stuff from a guy in the UK on ebay, (search for chemical samples),he will also try to source stock for you, as the other poster said the modern sets are dummed down, and overly politically correct. Also on ebay go some older sets like Thomas Salter but they go for over 40 or 50 quid.

Offline Zerm

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
I saw this little kit and thought it was just too cool for $40.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/chemistry-equipment-kit/p/CE-KIT01/

Its minimal but nearly every procedure I've ever done could be done on only that much equipment and I thought you couldn't beat that price as an entry to the hobby.  Obviously this kit does not include chemicals or instructions, but you can make those yourself ;)

I got most of my starting equipment though from www.unitednuclear.com

Sponsored Links