April 19, 2024, 12:19:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to make running shoe sole rubber?  (Read 13355 times)

Offline RobNk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
how to make running shoe sole rubber?
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
Hi,

If I wanted to create a custom shaped rubber sole, similar to these...

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_footwear.cfm

... I gather the basic idea is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization.  But I've never actually seen (poly)isoprene or the reaction.  Are these chemicals (polyisoprene, and a 'cure' package of sulfer+additives) sold anywhere in small quantities?  Does this reaction require something like high pressure that would be especially difficult to achieve in a low budget workshop?  Is always hardened in a mold, or do you think it can be painted on a fabric and then hardened.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

thanks,
Rob

Offline PolymerKnowHow

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: how to make running shoe sole rubber?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
The major expense would be the compounding and molding equipement. I have only seen the equipement via video and print, but imagine it to be completely nessacary. Perhaps you could avoid the mold, but I'm not sure how you would mix the additives with the raw elastomer without some major machinery.

Besides MSRP is only 90 USD.

Offline RobNk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »
Okay, thanks.  So mixing the additives and elastomer is not something you can do simply in a beaker...  I didn't even know this. 

I'm not thinking of saving $90, but I'm a runner and I like experimenting with minimalist shoes.  I was wondering what it would take to make one-off custom fit shoes. 

Rob

Offline gluedudeguru

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
I have always wondered, if you dissolved a plastic such as a polyurethane or an ABS in their respective solvents to make a solution of solvent/plastic.  Then placed this on an object such as a mold and allowed to set/dry/evaporate.  Would this be feasible, for what, i dont know.  Just wondered if it work the way i would think.

Offline PolymerKnowHow

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
You might be able to find a substitute, but elastomers like polyisoprene are high viscosity materials. They require high shear mixining techniques. Here is a video I found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6E24g3ujA&feature=related

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »
I have always wondered, if you dissolved a plastic such as a polyurethane or an ABS in their respective solvents to make a solution of solvent/plastic.  Then placed this on an object such as a mold and allowed to set/dry/evaporate.  Would this be feasible, for what, i dont know.  Just wondered if it work the way i would think.

Not likely, it will take a few days (maybe weeks) to evaporate the solvent - this is too long. Melting is much faster and ecologically friendly - no solvent losses. 

Offline gluedudeguru

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
I buy that, it makes sense.  Then if it is thick like a sole of a shoe, some of the plastic may "dry" on the outside and leave some solvent trapped inside...

I suppose it could work with enough time and thin enough layers.  Very uneconomical

Just one of those odd questions that float around in my empty skull from day to day

Sponsored Links