April 24, 2024, 08:53:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thickening Phosphoric acid  (Read 13828 times)

Offline gglockhart

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thickening Phosphoric acid
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
I hope this is the proper forum to ask this question. I have two formulas for thickening phosphoric acid and I have the proper chemicals. I plan to mix a batch just as the formula calls for but I also want to experiment with modifying it to attempt to accomplish two goals.  First I want it even thicker and second I want it as potent as possible. I clean commercial ice machines and I need a very thick gel or paste to remove mineral buildup on vertical surfaces. The consumer products that I have found clings OK to vertical surfaces and if I had to luxury of leaving it on for many hours or overnight they may work OK but with the time limits I work under they are not practical.  I want to reduce or eliminate the water in the formulas but I am concerned that removing the water will effect the dissolving of the Sodium Chloride and its cleaning ability. My goal is more of a paste than a gel.

Formula #1                                    WT%                Formula #2                                   WT%
Soft water                                      33.5%              Water                                            77.7%
Phosphoric acid (85%)                     50%                 Phosphoric Acid (75%)                     4.0%
Tomamine Acid Thickener surfactant 7.5%                Tomamine Acid Thickener surfactant   4%
Sodium chloride                               9.0%                Sodium chloride                             5%
                                                                             Tomadol 91-6 surfactant                 0.5%
                                                                              Fragrance                                      0.1%

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You

Offline mblanco2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Thickening Phosphoric acid
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
I just noticed your post.  I am also thickening up phosphoric acid 75% w/ Tomamine Acid Thickener surfactant.  I have not received my sample of Tomamine yet, but plan to have it by the end of this week.

Have you liked the results the Tomamine has given you so far?

Would adding HCl to your formula work to make it more potent?

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Thickening Phosphoric acid
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Adding HCl would indeed make it more potent, but it would also likely destroy/dissolve the metal (particularly stainless) of the ice machines you are cleaning.

Pure phosphoric acid is already a sticky, syrupy mess! I doubt it would work better than a dilute solution. It is perhaps counterintuitive that highly concentrated solutions do not always work best.

You could always try thickening with carbomer. It should be stable to something tame like phosphoric acid.
Neither flask nor beaker.

Sponsored Links