April 29, 2024, 07:44:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amphoteric quality of NaHCO3  (Read 15173 times)

kissoftalons

Amphoteric quality of NaHCO3
« on: August 29, 2005, 03:48:21 PM »
Two questions.

1. Identify the Bronsted-Lowry acid, base, conjugate acid, and conjugate base for the following :"
NaHSO4 + NaHCO3 --> NaSO4 2- + H2CO3

My answer: The acid is NaHSO4 and the base would be NaHCO3, and then NaSO4 is the base and H2CO3 is the acid.
What does conjuage acid/base pairs mean? I thought you could only have a pair if it was an acid and a base. The question only asks for conjuage bases.

2. Write chemical equations to show that NaHCO3 is amphoteric.

I don't know how to approach this, but NaHCO3 is used in the equation above as a base (I think), how do I determine when its acting as an acid or a base?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Amphoteric quality of NaHCO3
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »
What does conjuage acid/base pairs mean? I thought you could only have a pair if it was an acid and a base. The question only asks for conjuage bases.

the conjugate base of an acid is usually the converted acid on the product side of the equation. it is a base because it can accept a proton.

eg. HSO4- <->  H+ + SO42-
HSO4- is capable of donating a proton, so it's an acid. It's conjugatge base is SO42- which is capable of accepting a proton

2. Write chemical equations to show that NaHCO3 is amphoteric.

amphoteric means capable of acting as both an acid & base.
you need 1 equation to show NaHCO3 donating a proton and another equation to show NaHCO3 accepting a proton.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

kissoftalons

Check Answer: Amphoteric quality of NaHCO3
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 06:36:47 PM »
I think I've worked out the answers...after reading some lectures online about Acids and Bases. Can someone Confirm my answers?

1. NaHSO4 + NaHCO3 --> Na2SO4 (2-) + H2CO3
 Acid(1)     Base(1)       Base(2)         Acid(2)

Conjugate Pairs: Acid(1) and Base(2) and Acid(2) and Base(1)

2. Two equations to show that NaHCO2 is amphoteric.
Acting as an Acid: HCO3 + OH --> CO3 (2-) + H2O
Acting as a Base: HCl + NaHCO3 --> H2CO3 + NaCl

Acids are proton donors...So NaHCO3 donating a proton would result in CO3 (2-) making it act like an acid

Bases are proton acceptors ... So NaHCO3 accpeting a proton would result in H2CO3.

Is this correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Check Answer: Amphoteric quality of NaHCO3
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:51:03 PM »
Is this correct?

Seems you get the idea, but it will be much better to write net ionic equations, as this way you will concentrate on what is really going on.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links