April 30, 2024, 11:02:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming organic compound  (Read 18980 times)

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Naming organic compound
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »
Quote from: sjb
Seems like cis-3-bromo-4-methylhex-3-ene works

Do you mean it works in the quiz or naming wise? I can understand how cis/trans could be applied here and why it is incorrect however I cannot seem to get the quiz accept any of the answers for this question.

I meant it was accepted as a correct name on the Flash quiz, posted earlier.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »
Oh okay, understood. I'm just glad my structure naming isn't as bad as this quiz question led me to believe.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline jsmith613

• Mole Snacks: +4/-11
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »

Do you mean it works in the quiz or naming wise? I can understand how cis/trans could be applied here and why it is incorrect however I cannot seem to get the quiz accept any of the answers for this question.

I meant it was accepted as a correct name on the Flash quiz, posted earlier.

It did not work for me?
besides it cant be cis as cis does not account for multiple different sidebranches

I would have said

E-3-bromo-4-methylhex-3-ene

Offline jsmith613

• Mole Snacks: +4/-11
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »
We are talking about

CH2CH3 * 2 with 1 CH3
Not the diagram your using - see first post

Either I am misunderstanding or you are. The parent has a hex-3-ene body, H3C-H2C-C=C-CH2-CH3 which gives us C6H10 and two substitutes, a methyl and a bromine, adding up to a total of C7H13Br. Let's ask ChemSketch what the formula of the compound I drew is...

The carbon and hydrogens are there, just implied. It's not necessary to draw out every single carbon/hydrogen by it's symbol, with a non-mandatory exception when they are terminal/at the end.

This is wrong there are only 5 carbons not 7

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »

No, there are six in the longest chain.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
It did not work for me?
besides it cant be cis as cis does not account for multiple different side branches I would have said E-3-bromo-4-methylhex-3-ene

Try cis-3-bromo-4-methyl-3-hexene, it worked. It's the same thing SJB wrote except hex-3-ene should be 3-hexene (by the quiz standards).

It can be named by cis but is not recommended by IUPAC with multiple substitution alkenes. This was already discussed and everyone agreed (3E)-3-bromo-4-methylhex-3-ene or E-3-bromo-4-methylhex-3-ene are the correct names for the molecule. For the quiz cis-3-bromo-4-methyl-3-hexene is correct, which is improper but not ambiguous. In other words you could derive the compound from the name using cis-hex-3-ene skeleton.

Did you understand my reply "The carbon and hydrogens are there, just implied. It's not necessary to draw out every single carbon/hydrogen by it's symbol, with a non-mandatory exception when they are terminal/at the end." or did you simply choose to ignore it? Let me try to explain it visually...

Both molecules are hex-3-ene and both have molecular formula C7H13
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Sponsored Links