April 20, 2024, 12:29:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 60% Hexane and 40% Ethyl Acetate mixture for TLC?  (Read 28012 times)

Offline supermonkey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
60% Hexane and 40% Ethyl Acetate mixture for TLC?
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
for a 60% Hexane and 40% Ethyl Acetate mixture for TLC would the mixture be nonpolar because it is made up of 60% hexane? When calculating the Rf value the one with the greatest Rf value would be the least polar because the solvent mixture is nonpolar?

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
Re: 60% Hexane and 40% Ethyl Acetate mixture for TLC?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
It's pretty non-polar. You are right about the Rf values.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
For what it's worth, I consider 40% EtOAc to be pretty polar and only run columns of very sticky molecules in that type of system (ie; amino acids).  I tend to start on the lower end of the spectrum, 20% or more often 10% EtOAc and then move up in polarity if the spots aren't behaving well.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
Agree with J-Bone: quite polar mixture. One can substitute ethyl acetate with tert butyl methyl ether or diethyl ether in case of very non-polar substances.

@Supermonkey: Try to avoid using hexane. It is quite neurotoxic. You can substitute with heptane or petroleum ether (still contains ~1% hexane). 

Offline collin_det

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
J-bone; Is it possible to run aminoacids on this system? Is it normal phase? I have always been afraid for them to stick to the column, so I always use reverse phase or ion exchange for amino acids? Otherwise I always purify them, before they get to the amino acid and then recrystalize when getting there.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
I think MeOH/DCM mixtures are polar, but I guess it's all relative to what a person uses.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline ardbeg

• Mole Snacks: +7/-3
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
yeah i have to use acetone/methanol for some of the s#*$ i make.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
I guess polar is a very relative term here, that could be confusing.  In terms of the typical hexane/EtOAc system that is most commonly used in TLC, I personally consider anything above 20% EtOAc to be polar.  At 40% EtOAc just about everything will start to run, except for maybe a free amine (but even some of those might start to drift off the baseline).  10-20% runs my nonpolars about 1/4-1/2 up the plate and keeps the polars stuck at the baseline.  For certain amino acids I have resorted to either DCM/MeOH or CH3Cl/MeOH and I do consider that to be much more polar than hexane/EtOAc.

Collin_det, I have run some amino acids in that system, but it really depends on the compounds that you are trying to separate.  As I stated above, other times I've resorted to DCM/MeOH.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »
J-bone; Is it possible to run aminoacids on this system? Is it normal phase? I have always been afraid for them to stick to the column, so I always use reverse phase or ion exchange for amino acids? Otherwise I always purify them, before they get to the amino acid and then recrystalize when getting there.

You will not be able to run amino acids in this solvent system.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links