April 16, 2024, 02:08:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is sublimed sulfur soluble in oil? Needing help with percentage compound..  (Read 7926 times)

Offline June187

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have read that sublimed sulfur is somewhat soluble in olive oil.. I am wondering if the same would be true in argan oil. I am looking to make a 4% sulfur topical solution. Argan oil seemed a nice choice in this application, If this combination would be possible. I am also having a hard time figuring the ratio for an accurate percentage. I know that in solutions containing water, one may use a 1 gram/ml ratio though I have a feeling that 1ml of an oil would most likely have a different weight than one ml of pure water. Would I then be able to use an equation something like this (pardon my ignorance) It would be easier for me to use ounces for measure. So if I need .5 ouces of final 4% sulfur solution, could I weigh an ounce of oil to to find it's value in grams.. then perhaps take that weight of one ounce of oil being 'x' and multiply my percentage of .04*x to get an accurate weight in grams of sulfur needed per ounce of oil then simply half that ammount and add this to the oil. (of course using a bit less than .5 ounces at first and then topping it off to the exact measure for accuracy) Or am I way off in assuming that weight is the most accurate measure in mixtures of both solid and liquid (of sorts).. or just way off in general? Please any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Is sublimed sulfur soluble in oil? Needing help with percentage compound..
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
"Sulfur (4-8%) dissolved in rapeseed oil at 120-180 C gives a flexible, gummy polymer."

Apparently, S adds across the >C=C< bonds to give a cross-linked polymeric material called fractis.  So it is not just dissolution, but rather achieving solubility by a chemical reaction.  If you are looking to use argan oil, note that it contains about 37% linoleic acid, which has >C=C< so will probably give the gummy polymer.

Try with olive oil first (inexpensive) before using argan oil.

[Rapeseed oil = canola oil]

PS Please let us know how it goes.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Is sublimed sulfur soluble in oil? Needing help with percentage compound..
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
Try with olive oil first (inexpensive) before using argan oil.

[Rapeseed oil = canola oil]

PS Please let us know how it goes.

Olive oil Inexpensive?  depends on where you live, where i am Canola oil is <<<< expensive olive oil

And

Rapeseed oil is not the same as canola oil. Canola is a specific sub-class of rapeseed.

The oil derived from "canola" must contain < 2% erucic acid (also known as  cis-13-docosenoic acid ,22:1 ω-9 )
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links