April 16, 2024, 07:31:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trouble with a nasty solution  (Read 5900 times)

Offline GreyFox

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trouble with a nasty solution
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
Hello all. I was recently exposed to a rather nasty solvent solution that contained the chemicals 1-Methoxy-2-propanol, 2-Butoxyethanol, Isopropanol, Propane, and Butane among other things while cleaning without proper gloves on.

I didn't notice that the solution slipped through until I got home and still smelled the fumes several hours later. When I realized a large amount of it came in contact with my skin, I tried frantically rinsing the exposed area(mostly the hands and a small part on my neck from scratching), but it doesn't seem to be budging and the fumes are starting to severely irritate my skin and sinuses. I also read that exposure to these chemicals can lead to other, more severe problems in the future as well.

My question: is there anything I can use to stop the evaporation of the solvent fumes thus destroying the smell, or better yet, remove the chemicals outright?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :).

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: Trouble with a nasty solution
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
I'm skeptical that the solution contained propane or butane as those are gases.

With regards to the other chemicals, just give yourself a good shower/wash, that's basically what they do in chem labs when you get exposed to something.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
Wash your hands.

Then google hypochondria.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
You will be fine. I once had someone get DMF all over me (head to toe) and I'm still standing in good health.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline GreyFox

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 06:22:16 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for my delayed response, I've had a few minor mishaps with things like this in the past, but I thought I was in serious trouble with this one.
I'm skeptical that the solution contained propane or butane as those are gases.

With regards to the other chemicals, just give yourself a good shower/wash, that's basically what they do in chem labs when you get exposed to something.
I took a heavy shower as suggested and it cleared up quite nicely even though I still can smell small traces of it. And sorry for listing the two gases. To assure the chemical names were 100% accurate, I copied/pasted them from a similar solvent products ingredient listing that was an aerosol product, and neglected to edit them out. As much as I checked to make sure the first three were perfectly accurate, I'm not sure how I didn't catch it.
google hypochondria.
I admit, I overreacted but you can't blame me for being a bit rattled. Most solvents can be quite hazardous if something goes wrong and you are overexposed for a long period of time.
You will be fine. I once had someone get DMF all over me (head to toe) and I'm still standing in good health.
It's good to know you're fine seeing the risks associated with DMF. If you're anything like me, you were probably terrified. I only had minimal exposure compared to you and I freaked out quite a bit. I can only imagine how I would have reacted if I were exposed to a larger amount in that manner.

once again everyone, I appreciate your input and thanks for the help ;D.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:19 AM »
It was old DMF so I smelled very bad. Didn't freak out because there was nothing I could do about it post chemical shower, regular shower a couple of times, an accident report.

Chemical showers are super and the worst simultaneously, especially when lab mates just kinda stand there. Has anyone else been in that awkward situation?  I guess they are cold because of budget and cold water makes pores close up, so absorbing the chemical through the skin is reduced?

A few months ago, I could not get a needle out of a septum, flask containing methylene chloride of aluminum chloride, anisole, and a glyoxyl chloride. I gave it a pull, and got two drops of the LA solution on my inner elbow, like where people inject themselves. I actually got pulled aside and asked if I had a "problem". That stuff blisters and burns like crazy... droplet was smaller than the bubbles on standardized test answer sheets. No lab coat because the school doesn't have any small enough. (not a midget)

On that note, can anyone suggest a company I buy one from? I looked around a few months ago and couldn't find anything in the right size with the type of protective fabric I wanted. I'm pretty tiny, just under 5 feet tall, so women's XS or maybe kids something? They are so huge and I can forsee it getting in the way if it is like wearing a sheet. The sleeves are also an issue, absolutely cannot fall over my hands. I think the material frays, so I'm trying to avoid having to cut and stitch them up.

Thanks!
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
MP, I don't know if you frequent the C&E News blogs at all.  There was a designer who was asking womens' opinions on what they'd like to see in a lab coat and it looks like she's gotten her operation off the ground.  The discussion (and some of the design) seems to be focused on superficial aspects like how cute the labcoats look compared to the boring unisex ones, but it does sound like she was mindful of safety standards and kept the functionality (it'll look pretty bad for C&EN if she doesn't considering they endorsed her).

http://cenblog.org/newscripts/2010/11/2010-holiday-gift-guide/

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
Thanks J-bone! I don't know much about fashion and will definitely check it out.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
Could of just taken an acetone bath  :o

If soap and water don't take it off then your SOL unless you wanna start dousing yourself with other organics to get it off

I had a friend who worked with a thiol compound for a class. It was so potent than even after rinsing it several times with various solvents in the hood, it still stunk up the lab for hours.  Worst part (or best if your mean) is her hair smelt a little like it for a few days. 

"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
MP, I don't know if you frequent the C&E News blogs at all.  There was a designer who was asking womens' opinions on what they'd like to see in a lab coat and it looks like she's gotten her operation off the ground.  The discussion (and some of the design) seems to be focused on superficial aspects like how cute the labcoats look compared to the boring unisex ones, but it does sound like she was mindful of safety standards and kept the functionality (it'll look pretty bad for C&EN if she doesn't considering they endorsed her).

http://cenblog.org/newscripts/2010/11/2010-holiday-gift-guide/

PERFECT!!!

Sponsored Links