April 28, 2024, 10:16:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bad Gasoline--How bad is it? Does anybody else have these problems?-  (Read 4718 times)

Offline greymouser7

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
-or solutions?

Greetings, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody had some explanation about how the current form of fuel sold is adversely affecting the vehicles we drive-to include much older vehicles.  I am currently investing much of my time and money restoring/building an old muscle car; I would like to protect my investment. I would also appreciate any professional input in regards to the problems that seem to be occurring to everyone I know.

Every time I turn around either a friend or family member seems to have fuel related problem with their vehicle. Filters seem to need to be changed more often, and mold grows around the gas caps now days on any vehicle I look at with mileage.
It is a mental effort to keep track of which gas stations are filling up in the rain when I am lucky enough to catch it.  I realize that with the 10% ethanol, water mixes with fuel much better.  I believe that the water, heat, and pressure of combustion would rust my older, non-flex-fuel iron engine block and heads.

How well do the different fuel filters on our vehicles work?
   -the aftermarket highlights 10 micron filters -Is that enough?
How much filtration do we need for our new and old cars?

Are carburetors vulnerable to this crappy gasoline they sell us?

Does the mold mess up the catalytic converters, carbs, or injectors?
As I understand it, lead was removed for coating catalytic converters and poisoning the environment.

Right now I put a product called Sea Foam in my tank periodically & keep a can in the car for a bad refueling.   
I can tell when I have water in my fuel because of the miss I feel from some of the cylinder. I pull over and add Sea Foam but would like to know if an ethanol or a methanol or what type of additive would be best.

Thankyou for your time, MT2 John Anderson

Offline Ed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Bad Gasoline--How bad is it? Does anybody else have these problems?-
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
Hi, Greymouser7.

It's been a while since you made your post, so for all I know, you might have moved on to another hobby by now. But in case you are still interested --

Today's gasoline is of excellent quality, I would say, with the possible exception of the alcohol content. But if you have a legacy vehicle, then today's gas could certainly present problems for you. That is the fault of the car using gas that was not designed for it.

Ethanol in the fuel can be bad for elastomers in the fuel system in old cars -- some say in newer cars too sometimes. So, don't buy gas with ethanol.

Older cars don't have sealed gas tanks, and consequently tiny amounts of moisture can find their way in just from the tank "breathing" moist air. That is a problem they had in the old days too. It is usually not bad, but if some water builds up, adding some alcohol usually fixes it. Modern fuel stations have roofs over the pumps, and that should prevent rain water getting in the filling tube. If you are having problems and suspect rain water during filling, then fill up when the sun is shining.

Lead in gasoline in the olden days was toxic and a pollutant, but lead deposits were beneficial to valve seats, preventing them from cracking. Your old valve seats would be at risk when using lead-free gas. I believe there are lead substitutes available, but I can't advise you on that.

I wish you luck on you restoration project.

Ed

Sponsored Links