April 25, 2024, 12:02:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does Paramagnetic complexe's NMR destroys the NMR instrument  (Read 5230 times)

Offline ironman2538

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Does Paramagnetic complexe's NMR destroys the NMR instrument
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
Dear All,
            I am working with paramagnetic complexes, And i am taking the NMR of these complexes. I have noticed that after using these complexes on the NMR Bruker instrument that we have in our department, the instrument started working weirdly. The instrument is really old. And what I suggest is that instrument is not working properly as it has to do sumthing with the instrument itself and not with my paramagnetic complexes. Its a huge magnet after all, and I use like few mg of the complexes. However my colleagues thinks that its because of my paramagnetic complexes that the instrument is going bad. Do you know anything about this..??? Is there an article out where its mentioned that this does not happen...? Or is it really because of my complexes....? :-[ :( :(

Offline ironman2538

Re: Does Paramagnetic complexe's NMR destroys the NMR instrument
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »
Hey guys nobody has read or heard about my prob so far..!!!!!!  :( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline LiQ

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
Why would they?  Concentrated samples?  Read the literature of the instrument.

Offline ironman2538

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
The reason being that they are paramagnetic compounds which means that they have magnetism of their own.....which may interact with the magnetic field of the instrument....but only thing i m not sure of is can such a low conc as 20-50 mg in the entire sample has a power to destroy the instruments mag field which is in tesla's n like that..?? :(

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
How big is your magnet?

My guess is that the magnetic fields should return to normal once you remove the sample.  More than likely its the age of your instrument, your detectors could be going south.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline danstrone

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Paramagnetic compounds can't damage a NMR.  I run NMRs on Gd, Eu, Tb, and Dy complexes all of the time.  Gd is also your main contrast agent for MRI which is just an NMR.  Now you maybe messing up your tune by placing them in the magnet but you just need to retune it is all.  And I have done this on both very old Varian INOVA 400 MHz 23 years old to a new bruker 600 MHz AvanceIII.
Dan

Sponsored Links