April 24, 2024, 08:16:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: dry ice  (Read 6184 times)

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
dry ice
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:19:32 PM »
i got a small slab to play with recently, and i was amazed at what it did. my hand got a "burnt" feeling after touching it for more than 3 seconds  :o

i tried putting it in water in an enclosed bottle, and i saw rapid evolution of dense CO2 gas that filled the whole bottle very fast. why does such a thing happen?  :-\

also, i find it very brittle. what gives dry ice this property?

last of all, is there anything wrong with drinking the water after dry ice has "dissolved" in it? because i did so, and it tasted plain and fizzy :P felt a few burps after that.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:dry ice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:16:50 PM »
i got a small slab to play with recently, and i was amazed at what it did. my hand got a "burnt" feeling after touching it for more than 3 seconds  :o
this is known as a cold burn. it's a common phenomena. items of extreme hotness/coldness can burn your skin.

i tried putting it in water in an enclosed bottle, and i saw rapid evolution of dense CO2 gas that filled the whole bottle very fast. why does such a thing happen?  :-\
dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. the dry ice sublimed as it absorbed heat from the water. you observe dense carbon dioxide because carbon dioxide is a relatively 'heavy' gas compare to air. The rate of formation of gaseous CO2 by the sublimation is much slower than the the dissipation of carbon dioxide by convection current and diffusion.

also, i find it very brittle. what gives dry ice this property?
imagine what happens when you try to displace layers of carbon dioxide inside dry ice. hint: similar reasoning why ionic solids are brittle

last of all, is there anything wrong with drinking the water after dry ice has "dissolved" in it? because i did so, and it tasted plain and fizzy :P felt a few burps after that.

LOL. you are just drinking carbonated water.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links