April 19, 2024, 10:21:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Grad Schools  (Read 16804 times)

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
Re: Grad Schools
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
I can be interested in many things as long as I make things and the target is difficult.

Physical organic is cool too.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
Having a good advisor I think is one of the most important things you can have in your graduate career. Some advisors like to really get their students out in as short of a time as possible and will support them as such. Others treat the students like graduate slaves (6,7,8,9 years). Most I think fall somewhere in between. Also, getting to know the people in your group is important. Some groups have a lot of drama, some don't.

I would love to post more details but since my username is my real name I won't. Wanted to use my usual SN but it has the name Pedro in it which the forum filter software detects as having Dr in the name.

Offline Dangles

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »
Use that phds.org link i sent you, look around at some of the schools and check out professors that interested you.

How reliable is this website? It ranks chemistry by overall department, which in my opinion is worthless unless you are pursuing organic or inorganic (since they have the most overlap with overall rankings).

Some of the best programs for analytical and biochem are at schools that this system marks as red.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »
I think it's just about as reliable as any set of ranks intended to be used by many people.

The best advice I've gotten is to visit all schools I've been accepted to and make a decision after getting a feel for the departments.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
Excuse the language, but fuckin-a I can't wait to go to grad school and be overloaded with really difficult work.

Sponsored Links