April 25, 2024, 05:29:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: need help with redox reaction VERY URGENT  (Read 6760 times)

udit

need help with redox reaction VERY URGENT
« on: September 01, 2005, 03:37:58 AM »
If anyone here is familiar with redox oxidisation-reduction reactions please help me with these two questions:

1. For the following redox displacement reactions, describe what you would observe and give the net ionic equation for the reaction:

a) Bromine water is added to a solution of potassium iodide and the mixture is shaken.

b) Magnesium is added to lead nitrate solution.

I know redox but I dont know what the answer to this question is, can someone help? what would I observe with these two reactions and what is the reaction?

thanks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 04:00:38 AM by udit »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:need help with redox reaction VERY URGENT
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 04:20:07 AM »
Look at the table of half reaction potentials. In both solutions you have redox systems, the question is what direction the reaction can take - will something change, or not. Potentials will tell you the answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

udit

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 04:27:51 AM »
what table of half reaction potentials? I dont have that

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:13:24 AM »
http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=half+reaction+potentials

In case you are not familiar with these: half reaction potential is measurement of oxidation/reduction "strength". Comparing potentials you can check what will happen when you mix redox reagents.

For example - noble metals dissolved in ionic form are replaced in the solution by the least noble metals (iron fillings cover with copper if put into the Cu2+ solution - sopper is reduced, iron is oxidised). To check which metal is more noble and which is less noble, you can consult half potentials table.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

udit

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 05:20:09 AM »
but how are you meant to know that? like obviously you are meant to know, since it asks a question like this, but I dont have this kind of stuff in my chemistry textbook. Not a half-potentials table, anyway

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 05:33:52 AM »
In this partcular case the answers are pretty obvious (no intention of offending you).

First - bromine and iodides. It is in periodic table - which one of these elements is more reactive? Which is more likely to be in the free form, and which in the reduced (anionic) form?

Second - magnesium and lead. Which is more reactive?

Half reaction potentials are the most general way of dealing with such questions, that's why I referred to them. I have no idea at what level you are learning chemistry, if it is not in your book - perhaps that's all before you :o

albicilla

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:49:07 AM »
( borek, you will find this method simplistic, but here i go )

first you have to determine what the compounds will do in an aqueous solution, by this i mean: ask yourself whether or not these compounds will split up in ions or not.... (this should be in your chemistry book under PRECIPITATION reactions and solubility of salts in water)
so, now you know what compounds are formed, you can do your REDOX reaction

many greets and good luck

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 10:04:26 AM »
first you have to determine what the compounds will do in an aqueous solution, by this i mean: ask yourself whether or not these compounds will split up in ions or not.... (this should be in your chemistry book under PRECIPITATION reactions and solubility of salts in water)
so, now you know what compounds are formed, you can do your REDOX reaction

How is it going to work for prediction of the first reaction - bromine added to iodides solution?

What in case of bromine added to chlorides solution?

I have nothing against simple approaches - if they work.

Sponsored Links