April 18, 2024, 12:04:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ethanol to butan-1,4-diamine  (Read 4995 times)

Karakth

Ethanol to butan-1,4-diamine
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »
Here's the route I've tried to take:

C2H5OH is divided into two. One part is made into C2H5Br and the other oxidised to CH3CHO. Mg is added to the bromoethane to make a Grignard reagent C2H5MgBr and this is reacted with the ethanal and hydrolised to give CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3

And that's the point where I run into trouble. From this point I can either dehydrate (although it's 50-50 which way the double-bond will go) or I can try something else.

The reason I decided on a grignard reaction was to avoid creating ester or ether bonds which I do not know how to get rid of.

Something else just occured to me. Maybe I could somehow chlorinate the second carbon on ethanol and find a way to join two two-carboned molecules from that end, somehow ending up with butan-1,4-diol (after which it's easy to get to the amine).

No idea how to do that, though...Use grignard again?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:Ethanol to butan-1,4-diamine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 09:49:52 PM »
Here's my solution:

Use PCC (pyridinium chromochloride) to oxidize ethanol to acetaldehyde.  Add sodium ethoxide (you can even make this from ethanol by treating it with sodium metal) to promote the aldol condensation forming 2-hydroxy-butanaldehyde.  Use a Jones oxidation (CrO3 in aqueous H2SO4) to create acetoacetic acid.  Add chlorine in aqueous base to promote the haloform reaction, which forms chloroform and malonic acid.  Add thionylchloride to convert malonic acid to the diacyl chloride, then add ammonia to form the diamide.  Reduce with LAH (LiAlH4) to get butan-1,4-diamine.

Karakth

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 07:34:49 PM »
It works, but it seems overly complicated (it uses processes which we have not studied at school). After some thought, I've vome up with this:

Dehydrate the ethanol withc conc. warm H2SO4 to give ethene. This is then oxidised with KMNO4 in alkaline conditions to give ethan-1,2-diol. This is then reacted in a substitution reaction with KCN to give butan-1,4-dinitrile. You then reduce that with LiAlH4 in ether to give butan-1,4-diamine.

Simpler, no?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:05:39 PM »
Yup, that's a much better way of doing it.  Good job.

Sponsored Links