March 29, 2024, 02:13:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me ID this glass condenser  (Read 8508 times)

Offline abreuma

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help me ID this glass condenser
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
My deceased father had this glass condenser in the basement. I'm not a chemist. My wife says it's a bong and my father was running an underground head shop. Most glass condensers I find have 4 "ports" but this one has a 5th port that doesn't seem common. I'd like to ID this glass piece so I can sell it. Proceeds are going to my nephew's college fund.

http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/abreuma/?action=view&current=GlassCondenserLarge.jpg

Offline Twigg

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: Help me ID this glass condenser
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:56:35 AM »
A Graham condenser, probably part of a distillation apparatus. If you want to sell it, include the diameter of the mouths and the length of the body in the details.

I don't see the fifth mouth. Is it the part sticking out on the right side? Not sure what that is. How wide is it?

Offline abreuma

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »
What I guess I mean by the 5th port is that most condensers I find, and what makes sense to me, have an input and output for the gas and another input and output for the cooling flow - 4 connections.  In my photo, the 2 small connections on top are for the inner coil.  The bottom left connection is for the outer tube.  The connection on the right end is for the outer tube.  The large 5th opening on the top of the outer tube to the right is what puzzles me.  Like I said, I'm not a chemist.  I assume there's some name for this coil with that 5th opening.

The outer tube is 16 inches end to end.  This doesn't include the right end tube connection, which adds another 1-3/8 inches.  The 2 top small coil connections and the bottom left tube connection are 5/16 inch ID and 7/16 inch OD.  The right tube end connection is also 5/16 inch ID and the bevel end OD is 3/4 inch. The large mouth on the upper right side of the tube is 1-1/2 inch ID and 2 inch OD.

Offline Twigg

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
I'm not sure--I've never heard of this specification, but I can hazard a guess. Maybe the two ends are alternative connections, so you could either connect it to your receiving flask directly or attach a second condenser or other glassware through a holed rubber stopper in the fifth opening. Just a guess.

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
My guess is a vacuum distillation setup sort of like on a rotovap.

You would have:
Coolant in
Coolant out
Vapor in
Liquid out (condensed vapor)
Vacuum port

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
Likely, the bottom left inlet would be for the vacuum connection, the two conneceted to the coil are of course for the coolant.

The large one likely connects to the reaction flask and the small one to the collection vial (those may be reversed).

Offline Glassblower

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
It's definitely not a bong.It looks like a custom made piece to me.I never seen a condenser exactly like this one.
It looks like it has a double wound coil,for high efficient condensing.It looks like 1 1/2" beaded pipe,and the ball joint looks like an 18/9.

Sponsored Links