Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: O Chem :D  (Read 3543 times)

Offline wathetimbo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
O Chem :D
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »
Hi guys :D

and

can somebody tell me if there is a commercial name for this compound other than "(1S,2S)-1-amino-2,3-dihydro-1H-inden-2-ol"?
Also, is this compound commercially available or do chemists have to synthesize it?

Offline wathetimbo

Re: O Chem :D
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
Another question.

What do you get when you oxidize ethyl pyruvate? I know you get some carboxylic acid, but not sure what the name is, and if there is a short, universally accepted name.

Also, when you get that carboxylic acid and add phenylmethanol, you get some ester back. Can anybody help me with the name? I need them for my chemistry paper and have no idea how to get them. Putting them under ChemDraw brings out weird names like benzyl 2-oxopropanoate. Is that right?

Offline willug

• Mole Snacks: +4/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
I suppose (1S,2S)-(+)-trans-1-Amino-2-indanol is a little bit shorter. The compound is avaliable from sigma apparently;

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en&N4=663344|ALDRICH&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

:)

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is this compound for? I know a few aminoindane analogues that are active in man, that's why I ask.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
The isomer that has the opposite configuration of the alcohol is part of the Merck HIV drug Crixivan (Indinavir).  I know that this part of the molecule was made from an interesting sequence of enantioselective epoxidation and Ritter reaction.  I wonder if the epimer you have shown above is a byproduct of the synthesis of the desired cis-isomer.

Offline wathetimbo

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
Hi all :D

Thanks for the replies. Willug, thanks for finding the product for me online :). As for the Indinavir, I have no idea, sadly, though enantioselective molecules like indane are quite common in the chemistry industry.

As for what this compound is for, it was utilized to synthesize some thiourea catalyst. Sorry, but I can't say more than that :D

Thanks again all :)

Sponsored Links