April 27, 2024, 05:29:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Azeotrope of Water  (Read 2480 times)

Offline kyliepup

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Azeotrope of Water
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »
In a water and ethanol azeotrope, does the percentage of each component vary by altitude / barometric pressure? Are there any other environmental factors that would change the standard percentage of ethanol and water? I hope I'm stating the question properly.

- Thanks!
  kp

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Azeotrope of Water
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
Yes, the composition of the azeotrope changes with pressure (consider that the distillation diagrams are isobaric): e.g. when such distillations are carried out in an industrial production the pressure is set to increase the amount of the product needed...
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline kyliepup

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Azeotrope of Water
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Yes, the composition of the azeotrope changes with pressure (consider that the distillation diagrams are isobaric): e.g. when such distillations are carried out in an industrial production the pressure is set to increase the amount of the product needed...
Thank you very much MrTeo! Can you possibly point me to a adjustment table or equation that would allow me to calculate the % of the components in the azeotrope as a function of barometric pressure / altitude? I own a small batch distillery located at 3000 feet. I'm in a mountain local, and our barometric pressure varies widely. I'm very familiar with the lowered boiling points of my distillation components under the above conditions, but I have not found data showing how to adjust the expected % ethanol in the azeotrope. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Cheers
  kp

Sponsored Links