April 24, 2024, 07:18:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lysol and Comet  (Read 12546 times)

Offline Nazo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lysol and Comet
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:13 AM »
I'm not sure if this is entirely the best place to ask this question--let me know if it should be elsewhere.

A few hours ago, I accidentally used Lysol Disinfecting Wipes today to clean my shower after using Comet.  Because Lysol contains a type of ammonium chloride and Comet contains bleach, I'm now quite paranoid that I have created something like hydrazine.  What I'm not clear on is whether the ammonium chloride in Lysol will react to the Comet.  One MSDS for Lysol says not to use it with bleach (http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/Lysol-Brand-Disinfecting-Wipes-US-English.pdf), while another says no products are known to be incompatible (http://www.hescoinc.com/msds/ly77182.pdf).  Comet contains powdered bleach and is labeled with a warning to avoid ammonia products.

How worried should I be about my possible exposure to chemicals like hydrazine?  Is it possible that these chemicals still remain on surfaces where children could come into contact with them?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Lysol and Comet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:09:31 AM »
Mixing these things wasn't the brightest idea, but amount of chloramines that could be produced is not that high, I don't see hydrazine between possible products. Good wash with water and ventilation should be enough.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nazo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Lysol and Comet
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:30 AM »
Thank you for your response!  The active chemical in Lysol is Benzalkonium chloride--not exactly ammonia.  Do you think that a reaction with bleach still could have occurred?

The hydrazine can be produced when more ammonia than bleach is combined.
2NH3 + NaOCl --> N2H4 + NaCl + H2O

Sponsored Links