April 26, 2024, 01:30:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Treatment, chemical kinetics  (Read 4741 times)

Offline hannah1414

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Treatment, chemical kinetics
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »
In the Treatment of 2-bromo-4-methylpentane with potassium 2-methyl-2-propoxide (potassium tert-butoxide, gave three products E, F and G, each with molecular formula C6H12.

Identify the probable type of mechanism leading to the products based on the structures of the substrate and reagent used.

Give the structures of the three products.

Briefly comment on the relative amounts of the three products.

Choose one of the products and give a mechanism, using curly arrows, for the reaction leading to its formation.

Please can someone help, ive had this since december and i really don't understand
Thank you

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Treatment, chemical kinetics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
In the Treatment of 2-bromo-4-methylpentane with potassium 2-methyl-2-propoxide (potassium tert-butoxide, gave three products E, F and G, each with molecular formula C6H12.

Identify the probable type of mechanism leading to the products based on the structures of the substrate and reagent used.

Give the structures of the three products.

Briefly comment on the relative amounts of the three products.

Choose one of the products and give a mechanism, using curly arrows, for the reaction leading to its formation.

Please can someone help, ive had this since december and i really don't understand
Thank you

What is the formula of your starting material. How does this differ from the product?

Offline Jesse2024

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »
From what I can see this is an E2 elimination (dehydrohalogenation) reaction.  The mechanism looks like this:

Unless I am mistaken, I can only predict 2 products from this since there are only two beta carbons.  You can draw the other product and mechanism yourself.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »
There may only be 2 beta carbons, but that's not really where the reaction starts, is it? How many different hydrogens are there attached to these carbons?

Offline Jesse2024

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:55 AM »
There may only be 2 beta carbons, but that's not really where the reaction starts, is it? How many different hydrogens are there attached to these carbons?

Ok, now I remember, for the more substituted beta carbon (the one of the right in the picture), you can have both an E or Z isomer, so you get 3 possible products, the one I drew above, and two others which are an E and Z isomer.

Sponsored Links