April 27, 2024, 05:10:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: weaker acid  (Read 3754 times)

Offline big

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
weaker acid
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
Of NH4NO3 and AlCl3, how do you tell which is the weaker acid? I know you only haev to consider the cation since both HNO3 and HCl are strong acids, but how do you know?

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: weaker acid
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
A bronsted acid donates a proton (I assume you are talking about bronsted acidity here, not lewis acidity)

which one of the two compounds would more easily donate a proton? This is the stronger acid of the 2. (assume no complexation takes place)

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
As the good chemist explained, you can't really compare Bronsted acidity to Lewis acidity in terms of strength. In fact, the whole concept of lewis acid strength is a bit more ambiguous than bronsted strength, which can be simply measured by pKa in water.

Offline big

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
which one of the two compounds would more easily donate a proton? This is the stronger acid of the 2. (assume no complexation takes place)

Well see I figured out the part about the bronsted acid being a proton donor, but how do you tell which will more easily donate the proton? I know that Al forms complexes with water along the lines of [Al(H2O)6]3+, but how do you know which donates the proton more easily?

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »
pKa Al3+ = 5.0
pKa NH4+ = 9.25 <-- weaker

this is the only way to be absolutely sure which is the weaker acid.

Offline big

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
But if you weren't given the pKa's, and you had to make an intelligent guess by looking at the structure of the molecule, how would you determine the weaker acid?

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »
in this case it would be hard. If you do not know that Aluminium complexes then you have no way of knowing if it is an anid or not. The higher pKa of ammonium could be considered something to know, as you form NH4+ when you dissolve ammonia in water.

Sponsored Links