April 26, 2024, 09:14:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Phase Change Question  (Read 3229 times)

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Phase Change Question
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
Let's say you have 52 g of ice at -10.0 degrees C, given the changes in enthalpy of fusion and vaporization of water, and the specific heats of ice, water, and steam, how many kilojoules of energy would be required to convert the sample of ice to steam at 100 degrees C?

I honestly don't know how to do this problem whatsoever. This was a question on a test I took today and I tried all sorts of things like converting 52 g to moles of H2O and multiplying that by the sum of the changes of enthalpy, but i didn't get any of the choices.

I'm sorry I don't remember any of the values for the changes in enthalpy or the specific heat values, but I do remember that it was 52 g of H2O.

Thanks for any *delete me*
Anthony

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
Re: Phase Change Question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
You can think of specific heat as the amount of heat (energy) required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree celsius. The enthalpy of fusion is the amount of heat required to melt 1 gram (for this problem) of a substance at its melting point. The enthalpy of vaporization is the amount of heat required to boil 1 gram of a substance at its boiling point. Does that help you at all?

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Phase Change Question
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »
Oh yes! Thank you so so so so so so much!!! :) :) :)

Sponsored Links