April 24, 2024, 03:09:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A few intermolecular forces problems  (Read 17109 times)

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
A few intermolecular forces problems
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »
Question number one:
Predict which of the following liquids has greater surface tension: ethanol (C2H5OH) or dimethyl ether (CH3OCH3)

I said dimethyl ether, because the compound is symmetric, so in 3d space, the O atom in between two methyl groups could more easily form hydrogen bonds with other dimethyl ether species. I don't know if this one is right because it's an odd so the answer isn't in the back of my book.

Question number two:
Classify the solid state of the following substances as ionic crystals, covalent crystals, or mettallic crystals:
a. CO2 b. B12 c. S8 d. KBr e. Mg f. SiO2 g. LiCl h. Cr

a. Molecular b. Mettallic c. Molecular d. Ionic e. Molecular f. Covalent g. Ionic h. Molecular

Are these right? My biggest concerns are b and c. For E, I know that Mg is a mettallic element that does not form mettallic solids, however, what other type of solid would it form? Those are the few that I'm not feeling so hot on. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain I'm correct for ones like g where the species is obviously ionic. But for the rest, who knows, I could get them all wrong for all I know :P

Question number 3:
"A student hangs wet clothes outdoors on a winter day when the temperature is -15 degrees C. After a few hours, the clothes are found to be fairly dry. Describe the phase changes in the drying process"

My best guess is that the water in the clothes condenses in the cold air and drips off, but too me this doesnt seem likely, or that there is something deeper going on I suppose.

Thanks!

Anthony
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:15:30 AM by cubejunkies »

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
Re: A few intermolecular forces problems
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
For 1, ether does not hydrogen bond with each other. 2 looks correct to me. 3 is tough call.

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
Question 1)
Rabolisk is correct, dimethyl ether molecules can't do hydrogen bonding with each others because they don't have hydrogen atoms attached to electronegative atoms.

Question 2)
I think b), e) and h) are incorrect.

B12 has a bandgap of 2eV (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron), so it isn't a metal.
And it would simply be called B or Bmetal if it was metallic: The fact that there is a number '12' indicates a discrete molecular structure, not a metal.

Why do you think Mg and Cr can't be metallic solids?  ::) Remark: these are simply named Mg and Cr without numbers. You never find anything like Mg12, Cr10 or whatever number... This indicates extended structures, by opposition to molecular structures.

Question 3)
It makes me think about freeze-drying process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_drying  :)

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »
Wait for question 2, Cr would be mettallic? I know mg cant because we have a chart that lists mg among Na and a few others to be mettallic elements that are exceptions which do not form mettallic solids

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
Cr and Mg both are metals

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
Wait for question 2, Cr would be mettallic? I know mg cant because we have a chart that lists mg among Na and a few others to be mettallic elements that are exceptions which do not form mettallic solids
???  :o

Magnesium, sodium and chromium are definitely metals. You must be somehow confused when reading your chart.
Throwing a little piece of metallic sodium into water and seeing it fizzling is something most chemist have done  ;D

Perhaps your chart makes a difference between alkaline, alkaline-earth and transition metals. But still they are all metals.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
I did some searching and apparently there is an "intermediate" between metallic and network covalent bonding in some metals (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonding_in_solids).  I don't think I'd throw this sort of thing at high schoolers, but it does exist.  This accounts for some of the very "brittle" metals like tungsten and probably magnesium as well. 

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »
For question 3, it depends. I have placed wet cloths in the cold and it has frozen solid.
So it would be a matter of how much water is in the fibers and the humidity of the air.

The question is intended to make you think and use your imagination.

Sponsored Links