April 26, 2024, 11:55:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol  (Read 9155 times)

Offline LHM

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »
If you mix acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol while heating it at the same time, what are the products?

Okay so I know that the ethanol will be oxidized because the dichromate ion is a good oxidizing agent, so Cr3+ as well as H2O will be produced from the acidified dichromate ion.

As for the organic molecule though, I thought that the product would be ethanal, but it's supposedly acetic acid instead. I understand that if you were to oxidize the ethanal further, you would get acetic acid. But how do you know which one it will be if you're just told that a mixture of acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol are heated?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
Acidified potassium dichromate is a very strong oxidizing agent. Only mild/weak oxidizing agents will not be able to oxidize the ethanal further to ethanoic acid. For now, just remember it as a fact.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
But when heating you can remove a very volatile acetaldehyde (boiling point ~20 C) from the reaction mixture. Of course this is not e method for acetaldehyde synthesis in high yield.
AWK

Sponsored Links