April 23, 2024, 12:44:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to make 1 gallon of 3 % tannic acid solution  (Read 23428 times)

Offline deadlift1979

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
how to make 1 gallon of 3 % tannic acid solution
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
 hello everyone I have no chemistry experience at all.

I was wondering how to make a 1 gallon solution of 3 % tannic acid.

I have a child with severe allergies and I am tired of paying 60-90 dollars for allersearch ADS
 I know this is simple for you guys and thanks in advance

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:57:39 AM by Borek »

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: how to make 1 gallon of 3 % tannic acid solution
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
even myself -as a chemist- would never considering brewing medication at home. Especially not something as complicated as tannic acid (I have very limited organic chemistry experience)

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
@deadlift1979
1 gallon is about 3,785mL, the density of water is 1g/mL so one gallon is 3,785g. 3% of this would be 113.55g of tannic acid. A quick google search shows a few sources selling about this amount for reasonable prices. Before you use it I would recommend reading tannic acid's MSDS to ensure safe handling, disposal, so forth.

@DevaDevil
I don't mean to speak for the user but 1) I don't believe they are attempting to synthesize tannic acid (it's readily available) and 2) this is not used internally for allergies (ie. not histaminergic antagonist), so it's not being used as a medicine. Take this excerpt;

"Spray a fine mist of [of the solution] to dry surface in a sufficient quantity to dampen the external surface fibers of item being treated. Allow treated surface to dry for approximately three hours. Once surface is dry, vacuum to pick up any excess residue. Re-treat surfaces every 90 days for optimum treatment benefit."
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:58 PM »
And what is tannic acid suppose to do?
I don't know how it is produced. Perhaps you can use another substitute such as acetic acid but I don't really know.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:15 AM »
@Vmelkon
The claim has some supporting evidence from published research.
Quote from: J Allergy Clin Immunol. March 1993.
Tannic acid (TA), a protein-denaturing agent, has been reported to reduce allergen levels in house dust and is marketed for that purpose as 1% and 3% solutions.

however it is also expressed;

Quote from: J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995 Vol 96, Number 3
the effects do not appear to be maintained for long periods, are not dramatic, and are different for different allergens

It does work according to the data I skimmed through and if it helps Deadlift's child so much the better. Rather inexpensive self-made compared to the listed price.

- Chemical treatment of carpets to reduce allergen: A detailed study of the effects of tannic acid on indoor allergens (abstract)
- Chemical treatment of carpets to reduce allergen: Comparison of the effects of tannic acid and other treatments on proteins derived from dust mites and cats (abstract)
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:47:11 AM »
And what is tannic acid suppose to do?
I don't know how it is produced. Perhaps you can use another substitute such as acetic acid but I don't really know.

You are painfully off. Have you at least checked what tannic acid is, or have you just posted to post?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline deadlift1979

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »
 Tannic acid is clinically proven and helps breakdown environmental allergens such as dust mites and there poop...it is also the only substance that has been proven to destroy pet dander... I was thinking about using brewed tea since my carpet is so dark brown... tannic acid is found in tea,trees,some nuts and seeds Use of tannic acid in food applications is widespread and significant amounts are used as process aids in beer clarification, aroma compound in soft drinks and juices.  in the wine industry,tannic acid is used as a natural clarifying agent, colour stabilizer and taste enhancer. tannic acid is classified as generally recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration....allersearch makes aproduct that is three percent tannic acid along with benzyl benzoate it sell for about 90.00 USD i bought 100 grams from a photography shop for 11.00 USD(it is used in the production of cyanotypes). I will add 12 grams to 4 liters and if i researched right that should be a 3% solution.

Thanks guys

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
I will add 12 grams to 4 liters and if i researched right that should be a 3% solution.

No, that would be 0.3%. You need 30g per 1 liter. And better don't prepare large batches, I am not sure how stable solutions are.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links