March 28, 2024, 05:08:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DIY spray on chrome System  (Read 209820 times)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: DIY spray on chrome System
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »
hussey:, by all means post what info you've come up with.   That's what this thread and forum are all about -- sharing chemistry knowledge.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline hussey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
We will discuss the wetting agent or so called activator or sensitizer and reducer of salt solution later, first i want to comfirm the chemistry of my salt solution so called silvering solution A, reason is that its the most expensive solution among all of the rest.
For 1 litre diluted solution, i took 2.5gm silver nitrate in 500ml distilled water and while stirring i added concentrated amonia drop by drop until the solution becomes black then turns clear again (3ml approx), this means the silver nitrate is disloved.
Then i took another beaker and dissolved 7.5gm sodium hydroxide in 500ml distilled water. Then i mixed this solution to my sliver nitrate solution, the mixture will turn black again then i add amonia again drop by drop (7ml approx) until it turns into clear solution.
This is my salt solution.
You guys can use it with your company provided reducer and check the result, please do let me know the result.
NOTE: use sliver nitrate, sodium hydroxide and amonia Lab grade only.

Offline VEGAS

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
hyssey, did you try your formula for the silvering solution ?
Do you have any results/ progress since September ?
I am thinking to try to make silvering solution also :)

Offline VEGAS

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »
Btw
Does someone know how to make an anti-oxident solution ? in order to spray the chrome surface straight after... ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
How can I get the list of chemicals needed

Early in this thread, the creator, nicamarvin:, posted another link that details the chemicals needed:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=46428.15
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:56:50 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
Guys, I've decided to lock this thread.  I've made it sticky, so it will always be at the top, because this is a great thread, but it has run out its course.

nicamarvin: has done a pretty impressive thing, he's taken the silver mirror reaction, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens%27_reagent#In_silver_mirroring, and used it to make an excellent automotive finish.  He's used his expertise in finishing to be able to select he proper base-coat, tint the silvering, and provide a good clear-coat.  If anyone wants to know more, they can read the thread from the beginning, check out the other finishing board links, or check out youtube.

nicamarvin:, if you feel like you have to add something, please send a PM a MOD: or ADMIN:, and we'll help out.

However, the endless posts, "This is awesome, email me how to do this" are going to have to stop now.

*Topic Locked*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:29:41 AM by Arkcon »

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Fe + NiSo4 = Ni + FeSo4
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
hey I posted a Tutorial on Instructables(I know it took me years, but to be fair I only found out about that site when I started looking for a DIY 3D printer)

can you post this link on my original DIY spray on chrome thread? thanks
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Spray-On-Chrome-kit/

Sponsored Links