April 28, 2024, 12:45:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Crystal Unit Cells - Minimum Symmetry  (Read 10428 times)

Offline oaksoft

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Crystal Unit Cells - Minimum Symmetry
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
A cubic unit cell is described as having minimum symmetry of four 3-fold rotation axes.
I know what 3-fold symmetry is and I can see the axes on a cubic unit cell.

What I'm unsure about is the precise meaning of "minimum symmetry" in the context above.
I want to use that definition to understand how to deduce the minimum symmetry of other unit cell types such as tetragonal and orthorhombic.
Obviously I can simply look them up but I'm trying to understand how to derive them myself.

So.....does anyone know what is meant by minimum symmetry?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Crystal Unit Cells - Minimum Symmetry
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:30:53 AM »
Cubic groups can also show 2-fold, 4-fold axes and planes
AWK

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
"Minimum symmetry" covers the symmetry elements that are present in every space groups of a given crystal system (cubic for example).

In the case of cubic systems, they all have four 3-fold rotation axes along the cube diagonals. These can define a cubic space group.

But for example not all cubic space groups have 4-fold rotation axes. So you can't use 4-fold axes to define cubic space groups, as it would be too restrictive.

If you look at the space groups list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_group, large table near the end of the page) for the cubic crystal system, you can see that all and every cubic space group has 3-fold axes (examples: P23, P432, Pm-3m,...).

Offline oaksoft

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
"Minimum symmetry" covers the symmetry elements that are present in every space groups of a given crystal system (cubic for example).

In the case of cubic systems, they all have four 3-fold rotation axes along the cube diagonals. These can define a cubic space group.

But for example not all cubic space groups have 4-fold rotation axes. So you can't use 4-fold axes to define cubic space groups, as it would be too restrictive.

If you look at the space groups list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_group, large table near the end of the page) for the cubic crystal system, you can see that all and every cubic space group has 3-fold axes (examples: P23, P432, Pm-3m,...).

I'm afraid we've not had anywhere near enough lectures on this stuff for me to be able to understand that table yet but your bit about a cubic unit cell not always having 4 fold symmetry helps a bit (although I can't imagine an example where it wouldn't).

Thanks for helping.

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »
You can have a look at this website http://www.unioviedo.es/qcg/d-MolSym/.

There, you can find this picture (and more) of a cubic symmetry without 4-fold rotation axes:

In green are 2-fold rotation axes and in yellow are 3-fold rotation axes. No other symmetry elements.

Sponsored Links