March 28, 2024, 05:34:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making a Helium compound.  (Read 10197 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Making a Helium compound.
« on: May 20, 2004, 09:07:26 AM »
With the discussion we've had in regards to Tritium decay, it brought up a question I have.  I'm not an expert at all in nuclear physics/chemistry, but I'm pretty curious.  Tritium decays via beta emmision into a helium atom.  This helium atom would then have a positive charge since it would have hydrogen's one electron and it's two protons.  If you were to place tritium gas in close contact with a VERY strong reducing agent, say cesium metal, would the helium atom take the electron from cesium thus forming HeCs?  That would be a noble gas compound involving helium which is, for all intents and purposes, completely inert?  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Making a Helium compound.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 02:11:39 PM »
It would most likely take an electron from one of the floating hydrogens near by. It would be hard to force it in contact with the Cesium. Most likely would make Cesium hydride.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »
True, but if you mixed the tritium in quite well wouldn't you be able to make a few molecules which could be detected?  ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 07:34:24 PM »
Hmm... does this start to sound like the idea behind thermonuclear devices?  :angel_not:  If you force atoms into close enough contact, like through a massive explosion, you can start nuclear reactions.  I don't think weapons use what you're talking about, but I would imagine you'd wind up with a lotta energy if you made what you propose actually happen.

Sponsored Links