April 28, 2024, 03:11:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effect of HCI on Glass  (Read 2147 times)

Offline nicamarvin

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Effect of HCI on Glass
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
hi guys, its me marvin, I am experimenting on whys to sensitize glass and other none conductive surfaces with home made sensitizer solutions(other than stannous chloride) and here ar my findings...

materials, 3 gerber glass food containers

tollen's reagent silver mirror test(formaldehyde instead of inverted sugar)

the first glass container was clean with a strong detergent that also acted as a surfactant, after washing with Di water the mirror test was performed and no metal was atracted to the surface of the glass

the second container was clean the same way but this time a muriatic acid(hardware stor strenght) was use for 1 minute, then rinse with DI water so no trace of acid was left, the test was performed and this time s trong bond of silver was atracted to the wals of the glass, with outstanding bond

the third container was clean the same way, but instead of the muriatic acid, I used a home made ferrous chloride solution for 1 minute and rinse the same way, and a stronger bond was dectected..

now my question its, what its chemicaly happen in the surface of the glass that its invisible to the naked eyes? could a home made inexpensive ferrous chloride used as an alternative to stanous chloride?

thanks.

Sponsored Links