April 24, 2024, 08:00:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Am I ill-prepared for graduate school?  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Dangles

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Am I ill-prepared for graduate school?
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
After doing much research into the topics covered in typical graduate chemistry qualifying exams as well as chemistry curricula from other major colleges, I've come to the conclusion that I know nothing about chemistry.

I am currently choosing a chemistry PhD program (got into some really good ones despite my personal dissatisfaction with my education) and utterly terrified after considering how little I have gained from my major.

I attend a liberal arts college with a major in environmental chemistry. Here is what I have taken:

-General Chemistry (2-Semesters): Typical introductory chemistry.

-Organic Chemistry (2-Semesters): Typical introductory organic course.

-Instrumental Analysis (1-Semester): Completely worthless course in terms of teaching analytical chemistry and instrument method theory. This was essentially a chemistry writing course. On a related note my school does not offer any other analytical chemistry course.

-Physical Chemistry (2-Semesters): Typical molecular approach sequence for physical chemistry. The material in lecture did not line up with the text very well and in the end, I was not confident in my knowledge even though I did well in the course.

-Environmental Chemistry (1-Semester): Worthless trivia course with fun facts and gen chem level reactions to memorize.

-I have had no Biochemistry or Inorganic chemistry at all. Yet I'm still graduating with a degree.

Am I not ready for graduate school? Because it certainly feels like it and I'm no longer sure I deserve to go to the programs that have accepted me. Anyone have opinions or a similar story?

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Am I ill-prepared for graduate school?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Depending on how you do most schools will "place" you in the upper undergrad/lower grad classes at first. As long as you can handle THOSE level of classes you should be fine. Once you start getting in to the upper level ones, then you should already have all of the knowledge you need. Relax, if you got accepted you will do fine (providing you are willing to work damn hard). 

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
Jeffrey is right.  I also went into my Ph.D program with a shallow understanding of chemistry and some classes to make up.  I was allowed to take the undergrad classes, but be mindful that passing for grad students is a B; a C means you either re-take the class or possibly get dropped from the program.  Again, as Jeffrey said you will have to work damn hard, probably harder than many of your peers.  Find some good friends who can help you along and encourage you, you should be fine.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »
Most important part of grad school prep:
 How strong is your liver?

;)

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
AHhahaha How strong is your liver and do you like IPAs.

Offline Wald_ron

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
I'm not really sure what qualifying exams are.  ???
I've never seen a mole in a bag of animal crackers , but I've heard they're tasty. Can I have one please :)

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

At least when I went to grad school, there were two major sets of exams. The first set was a set of qualifying exams, which were subject area exams in Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Biochemistry. You had to qualify in at least four areas, either by passing the qualifying exams or by passing the 500-level introductory course in the area (with a B or better) to continue past the first year of grad school. Very few people passed more than one of the qualifying exams on entry, and most people didn't pass any in my class (about 50 people). Almost everybody was able to qualify by coursework.

The second set of exams were the cumulative exams, given after you had completed all the graduate level coursework required for your program - usually after the second or third year of grad school. These were much more difficult exams, and you had to pass them to continue on to your PhD. If you didn't pass them, you wrapped up your research, wrote your thesis, and got out with an MS.

Offline Wald_ron

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »

At least when I went to grad school, there were two major sets of exams. The first set was a set of qualifying exams, which were subject area exams in Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Biochemistry. You had to qualify in at least four areas, either by passing the qualifying exams or by passing the 500-level introductory course in the area (with a B or better) to continue past the first year of grad school. Very few people passed more than one of the qualifying exams on entry, and most people didn't pass any in my class (about 50 people). Almost everybody was able to qualify by coursework.

The second set of exams were the cumulative exams, given after you had completed all the graduate level coursework required for your program - usually after the second or third year of grad school. These were much more difficult exams, and you had to pass them to continue on to your PhD. If you didn't pass them, you wrapped up your research, wrote your thesis, and got out with an MS.

Thank you very much!!
I've never seen a mole in a bag of animal crackers , but I've heard they're tasty. Can I have one please :)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Almost everybody thinks they are ill-prepared for graduate school.

It is graduate school. If you get there and seem to be missing information, you put your booty to the grind and learn it.

Sponsored Links