April 27, 2024, 04:17:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility Problem  (Read 5500 times)

Offline G2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility Problem
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
I have the Analytical Chemistry book written by Skoog. The examples he shows are very brief and I have a hard time understanding.

Question: Calculate the solubility of Ba(IO3)2 in a solution prepared by mixing 200 mL of 0.0100 M Ba(NO3)2 with 100 mL of 0.100 M NaIO3.

I have the solution but I do not understand it. Can someone please explain the theory behind each step if it isnt too much? Ex: Why are you calculating a certain ion concentration and not the next. Thank you.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Solubility Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »
write down a balanced reaction and calculate stoichiometry first. Note, this is reaction with a limiting reagent. Then calculate concentration of reagent in excess. Finally put it in the solubility product equation.
AWK

Offline G2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
write down a balanced reaction and calculate stoichiometry first. Note, this is reaction with a limiting reagent. Then calculate concentration of reagent in excess. Finally put it in the solubility product equation.

Ok. I understand that this is a problem with a limiting reagent but how many reactions are there or what should I be looking for? Also, why is the concentration of the reagent of excess important to the reaction? Are there problems where one must study other situations. Sorry, I am teaching myself and Skoog isn't doing a good job in assisting me neither is my professor.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:30 AM »
Start googling for a common ion effect.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links