April 28, 2024, 03:29:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Transfilling (Decanting) Cylinders  (Read 4656 times)

Offline diverdileo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Transfilling (Decanting) Cylinders
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
I have a one argon gas cylinder pressured at 2015psi with 80 cubic feet of argon.  I want to transfer some of this argon into a small cylinder which is rated at will hold 40 cubic feet at 2015psi with a tranfill hose that has a bleed valve at the fill side of the hose.

I understand I have to vent to fill cylinder before transferring the gas, but won't air still remain at atmospheric pressure?

Given Argon is heavier than air, can open both cylinders and allow them to equalize and assume that by opening the bleed valve I would be removing all air leaving only argon to remain or will the air mix with the argon regardless of me bleeding?

In addition can I create a vacuum using heat or by opening the supply, bleed and fill valves in certain sequence which would insure I am displacing the air in the fill cylinder with air?

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
Re: Transfilling (Decanting) Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Heating is a very bad idea. At the very least (if temperature is low) it does not do any good; at most, you can blow a cylinder with a compressed gas - which will be a major disaster. Most likely your safety officer will not be happy with overall idea.

Also, if you do not have a specialized "Y" shaped transfer line with proper valves, gauges, reducers and vacuum outlet, you will contaminate the gas and loose 10-20% of it on purging.

Instead you might consider to put a long 1/8 inch line from the large cylinder to the point of use (where you were planning to use a small cylinder).  1/8's are soft, cheap and easy to use.

Sponsored Links