March 28, 2024, 07:25:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acceptable Atmospheres (He, SF6, O2, N)  (Read 19900 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Acceptable Atmospheres (He, SF6, O2, N)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 12:17:32 PM »
how about a krypton-36 environment? 36 is not too far away from 28 (Mr of N2 = 28g/mol)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 12:54:59 PM »
Yes indeedy.   ;)  So many people think it's for 'drug'.  Damned past history.

Funny thing. My first impression many months ago was that "durg" has something in common with "demiurge".
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »
Is argon too heavy

Element: Argon
Properties of Argon
Atomic Number of Argon: 18
Atomic Radius of Argon: 174 pm
Atomic Weight of Argon:a 39.948(1)

it would make a nice blue sky
that would be different

Selena

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 10:51:06 PM »
Wow, that's a lot to catch up on! :) So, starting from my last post:
  • Why not nitrogen? I was hoping for something different and readily availible in the jovian system (like helium or hydrogen). If I can't find something else, I will use nitrogen though.
  • "how about a krypton-36 environment? 36 is not too far away from 28 (Mr of N2 = 28g/mol)" None of this makes much sense to me (I know squat about chemistry :-[) I did look into krypton and couldn't find much info on it so I moved on to other elements (also partially due to the Superman connection :)) Would you mind rephrasing for me?
  • "Is argon too heavy" I don't know. I'm guessing that in order to have an evenly mixed atmosphere I'll need to pick something very close to oxygen (C, N, F, Ne)... Which looks like in the end I'm stuck with N, or have I figured this wrong?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 12:43:53 AM »
I am rooting for argon being released by mining on the moon and iron oxide being converted to oxygen. Thus the atmosphere would be created in the amounts necessary for life. The moon would be different from earth because the argon would have its own coloring effect. What I do not know is if argon alone would be too heavy for respiration. Of course helium could be there in a smaller amount.
We have to remember though that nitrogen is an important constituent of life so we may need substantial amounts of that also. I suppose if there were deposits of ammonia on the moon that can be converted to water and nitrogen, assuming oxygen is present. Somehow some carbon dioxide would have to be added so that plant life could thrive for photosynthesis to occur. That would take care of the carbon dioxide and oxygen cycle for animal life to respire. Knowledge of environmental chemistry would be important if I were to write a sci-fi story. I guess that is why writers like Asimov had a large knowledge base of science.

oops
I meant ammonia instead of methane – ammonia combined with oxygen would give nitrogen and water.
Methane with oxygen would give carbon dioxide and water.
I edited the mistake
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 01:53:38 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 02:16:43 AM »
Upon further reflection combining ammonia with oxygen may not initially create nitrogen. Instead it may create nitrogen oxide which would have to be further reacted to get nitrogen.

I guess I would not be a good terra-former

Sponsored Links