April 26, 2024, 01:57:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Highest critical temperature  (Read 11167 times)

Offline LHM

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Highest critical temperature
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
Which of these substances has the highest critical temperature?

A) H2
B) HCl
C) H2O
D) CO2

I know that the critical temperature is when no matter how much the pressure is increased, the gas won't exactly become a liquid. So my reasoning was that the stronger the intermolecular forces, the lower the critical temperature would be since the molecules would be more likely to attract each other and become a liquid. However, the answer is C, not A, so why is it that stronger intermolecular forces imply a higher critical temperature?

Offline wazani

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Highest critical temperature
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
Which of these substances has the highest critical temperature?

A) H2
B) HCl
C) H2O
D) CO2

I know that the critical temperature is when no matter how much the pressure is increased, the gas won't exactly become a liquid. So my reasoning was that the stronger the intermolecular forces, the lower the critical temperature would be since the molecules would be more likely to attract each other and become a liquid. However, the answer is C, not A, so why is it that stronger intermolecular forces imply a higher critical temperature?
hi
"so my reasoning was that the stronger the intermolecular forces, the lower the critical temperature would be" this is not correct , water vapor become liquid at 100 C degree and 1 atm pressure .then to prevent condensation it must heated to very high temperature
the correct  statement is " so my reasoning was that the stronger the intermolecular forces, the higer the critical temperature would be"

Sponsored Links