April 28, 2024, 08:48:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making a Fourier Transformation by hand for IR  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Boojakascha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Making a Fourier Transformation by hand for IR
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
Hello

I want to make a Fourier Transformation by Hand for Infrared Spectroscopy. I decided to use the method of real DTF because it is a good starting point. My Problem:

How I understand it so far:
To record FT-IR spectra a time dependent signal is recorded. I ignore the time at all, and take the magnitudes. In that way I have a 1 x N Matrix, which is my "Time Domain"

Now I make real DFT with it and obtain two 1 x (N/2+1) matrices the Real and the Imaginary.

My Problem is: real DFT is over now, but I haven't got a new spectrum now, with the time Domain converted to frequency Domain.

My Idea is to convert the rectangular notation into polar notation. This will make two 1 x (N/2+1) matrices Magnitude and Phase. After that I want to draw the Magnitude in function of the Wave number (which is calculated from the Phase)

My question: Is this the right way? Is it possible to calculate the wave number out of the phase without knowing the place, time and Angular frequency? What I have to do with my two spectrums to obtain an IR-Spectrum?

Offline Boojakascha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Making a Fourier Transformation by hand for IR
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57:09 AM »
Ok now I have the solution. I have to draw the absolute value to the power of 2 (X^2)

But my new problem: Does anybody know how to make out of Re(X) and Im(X) the Normal X matrix?

Sponsored Links