April 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kinetics: Rate Law: Initial Rate Method?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline skylit

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Kinetics: Rate Law: Initial Rate Method?
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »
I have this table of data I collected from an experiment, as follows:

Run 1---
Run 2:
[H2O2]AM,. MOL/L: 0.220 M
[I-]AM, MOL/L: 0.0417 M
ln[H2O2]AM: -1.51
ln[I-]AM: -3.18
RATE, kPa/s: 0.10405
ln(Rate): -2.2629

We were supposed to measure the rate of reaction using the initial rate method.
It asks me to SHOW how I calculated [H2O2]AM (After mixture), Mol/L for Run 2. My lab partner said the answer should be 0.220 M, as listed above. But I don't know how to get there. I know you have to use Rate=k[H2O2]p[I-]q, but I don't know what values to use. I think p and q are both equal to one, and so that is first order. But that's the extent of my knowledge. Help?

EDIT:
There's a lot of additional information for this lab, I'm not sure if I provided enough information to answer that I've asked. If I didn't please let me know.

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
Re: Kinetics: Rate Law: Initial Rate Method?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:02:59 AM »
I'm a little confused on exactly what you did for the experiment. Did you mix a solution of peroxide of known concentration and a solution of iodide of known concentration?

Offline skylit

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
I'm a little confused on exactly what you did for the experiment. Did you mix a solution of peroxide of known concentration and a solution of iodide of known concentration?

"In this experiment, we will use potassium iodide, KI, to catalyze the decomposition, where the iodide ion, I-(aq), acts as the catalyst."
We dispensed required amounts of H2O2 and KI solutions into a flask with DI water and collected pressure data using a computer interface.

Sorry if this is not sufficient..

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »
Was the concentration of the solutions given? If so, then you are given the volume of solutions used, so you can calculate the initial concentration of each reagent after mixing.

Sponsored Links