April 27, 2024, 10:25:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to figure out the oxidation state of carbon and nitrogen in CNO-?  (Read 17446 times)

bu88le

Can anyone tell me how to figure out the oxidation state of carbon and nitrogen in CNO-? thanks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 07:34:58 PM by Mitch »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Oxidation State
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:51:17 PM »
I doubt. In covalent compounds oxidation states loose their meaning. CNO- is charged, but the bonds between C, N and O are covalent.

Do you need it for anything particular, or to balance some redox reaction?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 05:01:04 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

bu88le

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 05:05:56 PM »
yea, i need to balance the oxidation-reduction reaction that occur in this basic solution:

CN-(aq) + MnO4-(aq) --> CNO- (aq) + MnO2 (s)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 06:16:54 PM »
In this case there is a better way of balancing the equation, although I don't remember its name, and my explanation will be very brief. You start with two half-reactions:

MnO42- + H2O +e- -> MnO2 + OH-

CN- + OH- -> CNO- + e- + H2O

They are not balanced - DIY; I have added H2O and OH- on both sides so that they should be possible to balance, but I could be wrong. Note, that you have to balance charge too - there must be the same charge on both sides of equation, that's the most important thing here.

Now, what you have to do is to add both half reactions, multiplying them by such a numbers, that electrons cancel out.

This way you don't have to assign oxidation numbers to C and N in CNO- nor CN-. To say the truth, this method is closer to the real thing - in many cases, especially when there are organic compounds being reduced or oxidized,  it is not possible to use oxidation numbers, as there is no way of assigning them. However, half reactions exist always and they can be always combined to cancel out electrons.

Well... almost always. But that's another story :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 06:20:22 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

bu88le

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »
thanks Borek!

Sponsored Links